Scroll to Content

In the city area relics from the Bronze and Iron Age were found. A first permanent settlement
of the area reveals itself from the oldest existing monument, a temple of the god Mithras from
the 4th century AD.
Jajce was first built in the 14th century and served as the capital of the independent Kingdom
of Bosnia during its time. The town has gates as fortifications, as well as a castle with walls
which lead to the various gates around the town.
The first references to the name of Jajce in written sources is from the year 1396, but the
fortress had already existed by then.
Jajce was the residence of the last Bosnian king Stjepan Tomasevic; the Ottomans besieged
the town and executed him, but held it only for six months, before the Hungarian King
Matthias Corvinus seized it at the siege of Jajce and established the Banovina of Jajce.
Skenderbeg Mihajlović besieged Jajce in 1501 without success and was defeated by Ivaniš
Korvin assisted by Zrinski, Frankopan, Karlović and Cubor.
Jajce became the last Bosnian town to fall to Ottoman rule. The town then lost its strategic
importance, as the border moved further North.